Newcomer ESL at CCMMS
We will begin by learning school vocabulary, including objects, places, and people in school.
hallway, bathroom, water fountain, 7th grade den, mascot, red wolf, basketball goal, gym, inside, outside, trash can, key, elevator, library / media center, stairwell, windows, bulletin board, office, courtyard, principal, assistant principal, cafeteria, fork, spoon, knife, chips, meat, vegetables, fruits, computer, monitor, mouse, map, globe, posters, alphabet, headphones, bookshelf, books, tables, chairs, whiteboard, projector, markers, colored pencils, dry erase markers, eraser, pencils, pen, day of the week, month, day, year, door, fire alarm, fire drill, fire extinguisher, where is the ___?, show me please, here it is, 1st floor, 2nd floor, plant, pot, parking lot, pause, play, plug it in, charge the iPad or laptop, shapes, asking and answering simple questions,
Some other important topics include:
- how to ask to go to the bathroom or get a drink.
- how to navigate the cafeteria
- introductions: “Hello, my name is __________. I am from __________. I speak ________. I am a student at Centennial Middle School. I eat lunch with ________. I ride bus ______. I sit with ______ on the bus. My homeroom teacher is _______. My team is called ______________.
- how to locate locker, & how to open a lock
- how to find my bus
- letter names, sounds, blends, digraphs
As we develop reading skills, we will learn:
- 4 C’s (Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, Creativity)
- Story Elements (setting, characters, problem, solution)
- how to retell a story
- how to sequence events in a story
- how to write a summary
- how to use reading programs online
- how to find a “good fit” book
- how to use online English development sites
We will use the following resources for Newcomer ESL:
Inside book level A (purple)
Inside book level B (orange)
Heinle Picture Dictionary and beginning workbook