We have been busy getting the school year off to a great start! We have had a walk the schedule night and an open house. Thank you to all of our parents who attended. It was great to meet you all!
Here are some of the things we have been doing in class:
- asking and answering questions about ourselves and goals for the school year
- reading stories
- identifying characters, setting, problem/conflict, solution/resolution of stories
- sequencing events in a story
- retelling a story
- writing a summary
Starting the week of August 7, we will:
- work in our picture dictionaries (topics include: classroom, instructions in school, & school vocabulary)
- learning to use Raz-kids to read books and develop reading & comprehension skills
- learning to use USA Learns to develop English language skills
We will have an ESL picnic on Sunday, August 20th at 4:00 pm. I will send home a flyer with more details and a location. Please save the date.
It is so great to see my former students again and to meet all of my new ones! We are going to have a wonderful year learning English together. This week we will be learning about our ESL classroom rules and expectations. We will also review the technology expectations and procedures. It is very important to bring back your signed technology forms so we can get started using our computers, laptops, and iPads in ESL.
We will also review our most current ACCESS scores and discuss the ESL exit criteria. You must have a 4.0 in reading, 4.0 in writing, and a 4.8 composite (overall) score to exit. We will take the ACCESS after the winter break.
We will create and present “I Am ” poems to help introduce ourselves.
We will then do some work with the 4 C’s: Communication, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, and Creativity.
We will also review the main elements of a story this week.